44th Annual Coalition of Women in German Conference

October 17-20, 2019          Sewanee, TN

Open Session Panel

*Raging and Resisting: Women’s Anger in German Culture *

Over the past few years we have seen numerous examples of women’s anger
becoming a topic of contentious debate. From the development of
international women’s marches to Serena Williams’ display of frustration at
the US Open and the wave of outrage surrounding the Brett Kavanagh
confirmation hearings, the anger of women has been on full display in the
United States and beyond. Some of the same factors that are driving this
rage in the US are also present in contemporary Germany (the rise of
populism, the normalization of racist and anti-immigrant rhetoric etc.).
From Kriemhild to Katja (the protagonist of Fatih Akin’s *Aus dem
Nichts*) there
is a long history of representing women’s anger in the German context.

In this panel we hope to highlight representations of angry women within
German cultural products. We invite papers exploring anger and rage in
works from all time periods and media. Possible questions to consider
include:

·     How can we theorize and contextualize this current interest and
investment in women’s anger?

·     What are some examples of anger being channeled into political action
or activism in the German-speaking world?

·     How do displays of anger or frustration relate to intersectional
identities (race, gender, sexuality, class etc.)?

Please send an abstract of around 200 words and a short bio to panel
organizers Claire E. Scott ([log in to unmask]) and Brandy E. Wilcox (
[log in to unmask]) by March 1, 2019.

--
Dr. Claire E. Scott
Teaching Assistant Professor