CfP: Psychology and the Text
43nd Annual Conference of the German Studies Association
October 3-6, 2019 in Portland, Oregon

This panel addresses new approaches to German studies that utilize contemporary theories of psychology and cognitive theory. The growth and influence of cognitive theories in literature studies is a reflection of the significant contributions that our colleagues in other fields have made towards our understanding of the human mind. Yet whereas cognitive models have expanded our comprehension of a reader's interaction with the text, there have been fewer applications of psychology to the texts themselves, their structures, their machinery, or to their narrative voices.

Invited are any approaches that seek to adapt contemporary theories from psychiatry, psychology, phenomenological psychology, psychoanalysis, or neuroscientific cognitive models to a reading of cultural artifacts (literature, film, graphic novels, art, etc). Of particular, but not exclusive interest are submissions that focus on the text itself, and on its workings, structures, voice(s), inception, and the like.

Please submit any questions and your abstract (250-300 words) by Friday February 8, 2019 to Charles Vannette ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

Charles Vannette
Assistant Professor of German
[cid:8BAE0B2D-947E-4452-9B5F-68746ED58919]
Department of Languages, Literatures, and Culture
210L Murkland Hall
Durham, NH 03824-3547