Hello Missouri Birders,

After 27 years, there is a new Missouri Big Year record and those of you who follow these things and to those who may (eventually) aspire to break the new record… good luck.

There were 4 who actually passed my old mark of 314. Steve and Debbie Martin, Brad Jacobs and Kendell Loyd.

The new record happens to be exactly 10 species above my old record, and is now at 324. While there are many things to discuss about the differences between the years 1991 & 2018, as well as the circumstances which occurred in the bird world and the birding world - I hope all of us can congratulate each of those who conducted a Missouri Big Year and certainly the new “Champ” Kendell Loyd.

I am thrilled to be back in Missouri working on a new conservation film. Today's resources and development due to the vision of the early founders of both the Conservation Federation of Missouri & the Department of Conservation have carried this state further into a new realm of “wildness” and natural areas while also being a populated state full of hunters and birders. The balance between MDC and DNR is also a thing of beauty. The best thing about all of that is that Missourians as a whole - get it!

Count your blessings.

I hope to see many of you out in the state parks, conservation areas, trails in Missouri Prairie Foundation or  Nature Conservancy areas and rivers or even bayous or oxbows through out this amazing state and for many years beyond the new year.

Now- is not the time to let up!

It took Kendell, Brad and the Martins many mornings when they wanted to sleep in or nights when there was a long drive to go, before they would be in position for dawn birding the next morning. That is the kind of effort it takes to break any record.

The challenges ahead of us in the realm of Conservation are also going to be enormous ones- if we wish for the natural world to resemble anything like the one we have now.

Congratulations to all four of those who passed the old record during 2018.

All my Best,

Tim

Timothy Barksdale
Birdman Productions LLC
P.O.Box 1124
69 Mountain View Dr.
Choteau, MT 59422

Birdman Adventures LLC
Somewhere in Missouri :)

The information transmitted (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is intended only for the person(s) or entity/entities to which it is addressed and might contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

In addition to the above, you may be receiving copyrighted material and be subject to violation of United States Laws.

Birdman Productions LLC and Birdman Adventures LLC will vigorously defend intellectual material, proprietary material and prosecute theft, or plagiarism to the fullest extent of the law.