One more thing on my Big Year List. I managed to correct all the errors,
but I forgot to erase the Common Yellowthroat, Palm Warbler and Leconte's
Sparrow from their old place after I entered them in the correct locations.
So, just scratch out these species that were erroneously in the chickadees,
nuthatches and woodpeckers before I typed them in their correct location. I
do appreciate folks letting me know about the errors on the list. Let me
know if you find more.

I should go birding soon.

Brad Jacobs

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 7:57 AM Robert Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Thanks to a birding friend from Jefferson City, who  pointed out that I
> had a few numbers missing and doubled up, and species out of order. I have
> redone the list and moved the species to their correct taxonomic locations
> and removed several doubled numbers. I didn't use the very complicated
> eBird downloaded csv file and in the process of converting all the
> locations to counties, I did a sorting that messed a few numbers and order
> of species.
>
> Brad Jacobs
>

> Below I am sharing my 2018 Big Year bird list. As many of you know I tried
> to break Tim Barksdale’s 1991 record in 2017 and ended up at 310 species.
> Tim helped me find several species in 2017 and again in 2018. Many other
> birders were very helpful in finding new birds, especially vagrants, or
> joining me in the field on many days. The year 2018 was an amazing year for
> rare, casual and accidental birds.
>
> I used The Audubon Society of Missouri <https://mobirds.org/> (ASM)
> Annotated Checklist <https://mobirds.org/Birds/MOChecklist.aspx> as my
> source for birds and their status. All my observations of rare, casual, and
> accidental species, as well as many of the common and uncommon species
> included ID comments on the eBird checklists for review by the eBird
> reviewer team. I submitted documentation for the casual and accidental
> species and other species on the Documentation Review List
> <https://mobirds.org/RecordsCommittee/ReviewList.aspx> for review by the
> Missouri Bird Records Committee (MBRC
> <https://mobirds.org/RecordsCommittee/>). I especially tried to get
> photographs of all of the rare, casual, and accidental species or sketched
> the birds in the field when I wasn’t able to get to my camera in time.
>
> I followed the American Birding Association Recording Rules within the
> boundaries of Missouri with one exception I used the ASM Checklist for
> countable species. I didn’t include any species that were considered
> domestic, zoo escapes, exotic: such as Egyptian Goose, Gray Lag Goose,
> Black Swan, Mute Swan, Ruddy Shelduck, Common Shelduck, etc. I have seen
> all of these in Missouri over the past 30 years. I did count Ring-necked
> Pheasant as it is considered naturalized, but counted no other pheasant
> species that have been seen in Missouri. I only counted birds that were
> alive, wild and unrestrained. E.g. the Ruffed Grouse released in 2018 in
> Missouri, or bird involved in or influenced by mist-netting or banding
> operations.  I didn’t count bird’s eggs unless I saw the bird.
>
> In 2017 before I started my 2018 Big Year, I listed 6 items that I hoped
> to accomplish in 2018 by doing a Big Year.
>
> 1)      Find more than 314 species of birds in one year.  I did that by
> 26 September 2018.
>
> 2)      Get a lot more folks involved in trying to break their previous
> year's species and checklists totals.
>
> 3)      Help birders add some rigor to their observational skills by
> [...]

ASM Spring Meeting: May 3-5, 2019 at Bunker Hill Retreat near Mountain View, MO