On a beautiful day for January (temps 40-50 degrees, sunshine and only a
mild breeze) the group of about 22 gathered at Teal Pond.  The best birds at
the pond were a single male Hooded Merganser and 2 Herring Gulls.

With the plan to bird with that bright sun at our backs we drove to the dam.
That served as only a turnaround as there wasn't anything there another than
a couple of Ring-billed Gulls.  We drove back on Riverlands Way and stopped
at a vantage point to scan the swans.  I put the number at 175 Trumpeter
Swans but I wasn't able to find any Tundras.  The swans were actively
feeding and often had a ring of mud on the ends of their bills.  The group
enjoyed watching a Bald Eagle sitting on a stationary snag as another one
floated past it on a log.

Moving closer to Heron Pond we worked that body of water.  It held a large
number of Greater White-Fronted Geese and Mallards with lesser numbers of
Snow Geese (both phases) Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Canvasback and
Redheads.  A Red-tailed Hawk was spotted soaring then perched in the
distance.  Walking over to the Ellis Bay side we had better views of
Bufflehead and a few Ruddy Ducks.

Moving to the parking lot with the pavilion and vault toilets we scoped
Common Mergansers and a single Common Goldeneye.

The Audubon Center was a zoo of people as our trip coincided with the Alton
Audubon Eagle Ice Festival and it as a very nice day which prompted many
people to come to the center.  We had to park about a quarter of a mile away
but the walk on the sidewalk added White-crowned, Song and Eurasian Tree
Sparrows.  A Kestrel zoomed by as we walked near the water.

A few of us drove to Lincoln Shields, which was a waste of time as only
Ring-billed Gulls were there.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51340443

Email me if you want this shared to you.

Before the official start time Dick P. reported a Tundra Swan and I saw a
Northern Harrier, but neither are on the checklist.  And a few people
reported a Great Blue Heron well after it was seen by them (not me) so that
also isn't on the checklist.

Happy New Birding Year,

Mike Grant

Chesterfield, MO