Regarding Carrol's passage across the River:

Sad, always, but inevitable. Though those who are aged or infirm may dwell more on the end than the beginning.  I also recall reading recently (possibly in connection with Hegel) a dichotomy of those who look upon death as a relief from life's tribulations and any pain attendant to the end contra those who fear the unknown because the singular consciousness that they have may just dissipate into ye olde handful of dust.

Thus I mourn Carrol's passage but would rather celebrate the life than dwell upon its physical conclusion.

One last thought--  I am always disappointed by aged photographs or images.  Carroll was once a boy, once a young man, once middle-aged.  Why post the photo only of an aged and tattered man?  (The same occurs with Whitman:  every schoolchild is shown the white-bearded image under that broad brim but anyone reading Leaves Of Grass in the first 1855 edition will find a strapping broad-shouldered secular younger man.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Others will carry on, Carrol, in your honor.

Sent from my iPhone