I think the life is deeply revealing when we can know it, and not as
hero-worship (which simply distracts and confuses) but as insight. It does
matter, I think, that Pound broadcast for Mussolini, that Dickinson was
a recluse, that Plath was suicidal, that MacDiarmid and Jones were in WWI
for all four years. All that reveals the life and experience that evoked so
much poetry. And it matters how Eliot thought of, treated, wrote to and
about women. His poems through *The Waste Land *are full of images and
attitudes towards women. Then he pretty much removed them altogether except
for statues and lines from saints. Why? We learn a lot about those poems
from his experience.

Perhaps it is not the same with Shakespeare precisely because of what Keats
called his "negative capability": he wrote plays for many, many voices and
did not make any one voice central. (Only a speculation--and then there are
the sonnets, a mystery). But acting Shakespeare leaves one an immense range
of possible directions.

But hero worship is empty and a barrier to understanding. They were all
great poets, not models for life.
Nancy