Dear David,

If you are still in Edinburgh or going back, Rose Street--parallel to
Princes Street--is lined with pubs. A pub crawl on Rose Street is a major
undertaking.

And places like the Abbotsford turn up in Rebus novels. I read them with
special pleasure since I almost always know where Rebus is. If you like
mysteries, and especially Scottish ones, there are other major writers,
like Val McDermid and Denise Mina.

In the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, there is also a room of
20th-century women of Scotland who have done great things.

It is interesting that Eliot read mysteries. So did MacDiarmid.
Nancy