German Studies Association Conference
Portland, OR
October 3-6, 2019

*Literature and Refuge*
In recent years we have witnessed the publication of a number of
anthologies featuring works by writers from conflict zones, such as *Weg
sein –hier sein* (2016), *Zuflucht in Deutschland* (2017) and *Das Herz
verlässt keinen Ort an dem es hängt* (2018), showcasing a variety of
genres. This panel seeks to examine possibilities for continuity in
literary production from the position of refuge. Considering a broad range
of genres including drama, graphic novels, prose, and poetry it pursues the
following questions: Are there medium-specific ways in which writers in
refuge address and comment on their experiences in Germany? How may we read
literary texts by writers in refuge in multilingual and/or translated form,
with regard to the German literary canon, but also transnational contexts
of literatures of exile and migration? How do these texts draw upon or
relate to existing traditions, topoi, and narratives of exile? What are
institutional, professional, state-sponsored and/or local frameworks for
literary production in refuge? Finally, how do writers address the
difference between refuge and exile?

Please submit 250-word abstracts and a short bio to Ela Gezen (
[log in to unmask]) and Olivia Landry ([log in to unmask]) by January
31st, 2019.