CFP FINAL DEADLINE EXTENSION: Environmentangled: A Germanic Perspective on Ecological Coexistence, Columbus (22.2.19-23.2.19)

CFP DEADLINE EXTENDED to TUESDAY, JANUARY 8th 2019

Environmentangled: A Germanic Perspective on Ecological Coexistence

February 22nd – 23rd, 2019

11th Annual Germanic Graduate Student Association Conference at The Ohio State University

Keynote Address by Professor Caroline Schaumann (Emory University)

The proliferation of portmanteaus in the environmental humanities like Stacy Alaimo’s “transcorporeality,” Donna Haraway’s “sympoeisis,” and Karen Barad’s “agential realism” demonstrates cultural scholars’ desires to destroy the clean boundaries of past scholarship through their willingness to cross not only traditional disciplinary boundaries but also the boundaries of the isolated, individual, human subject. As scholars continue to think relationally about beings in the web of life, we propose taking a step back: what does this relational thinking do? And how does it complicate our thinking about human responsibility in the “Anthropocene,” a term that rests upon the delineation of the human, directly referencing human actions? How exactly is environment entangled with literature, linguistics, culture, film, and humans? What kinds of “kinships” or shared histories lie undiscovered and what precisely does it mean to ecologically coexist?

This conference will investigate such questions in the German-speaking world. We seek to determine how distinctly Germanic perspectives on environmental entanglements can be useful in understanding our ecological coexistence in a transnational or global context.

We welcome abstracts from a variety of disciplines, including but not limited to: literature, philosophy, film, art, history, linguistics, pedagogy, anthropology, cultural studies, gender studies, migration studies and environmental humanities. Potential topics include:

Climate change in literature
Cli-fi / Sci-fi analyses
Environment, literature, and natural sciences
Environmental ethics
Human / animal distinction and animal(ity) studies
Resilience and resistance
Anthropocene debates
Biodiversity / species extinction
Ecofeminism
Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Cultural ecology
New materialisms / Material ecocriticism
Environment and migration
Humanism / posthumanism
Human responsibility
Human / Subject / Individual Identity
Studies of place / space
Postmodern literature and space construction
Nonhuman narration
Literature and politics
Dirt studies
Plant studies
Human / nonhuman agency

Please submit an abstract of 250-300 words to Kassi Burnett ([log in to unmask]) by Tuesday, January 8th, 2019.  Expected presentation length will be 15-20 minutes.

You can find more information about us and past conferences on our website: http://org.osu.edu/ggsa