Hi all,

I would like to state that both Don Mullison and I are not 100% now on the ID of this gull we saw at different times at Carlyle Lake Spillway yesterday due to some confusion.  We have both withdrawn our IDs of Black-legged Kittiwake on eBird, though on my own sighting I would definitely say it was an unusual gull lacking marks on the yellow bill or white on the wingtips.  However, as I have never seen a Black-legged Kittwake ever, I do not have enough confidence without photos to report one on my own with the brevity of the sighting I had yesterday (up to about 40 feet away, but less than thirty seconds).  I would like to personally apologize if anyone bothered to chase it today and wasted their time doing so.

Jared Gorrell
Jackson co IL
12/2/18