The ST. LOUIS AUDUBON SOCIETY is sponsoring a field trip this Saturday to Shaw Nature Reserve in Franklin County.

DATE:  Saturday, November 10, 2018

MEETING TIME:  8:00 a.m.

MEETING PLACE:  The semi-circle parking lot across from the Visitor Center at the entrance to SNR.  We'll be hiking from the parking lot so it's best to not use up the temporary parking slots in front of the VC.  You'll find me up at the parking lot which is only a few yards from the VC.

DIRECTIONS:  From St. Louis take I-44 west to the hwy 100 exit at Gray Summit, MO.  At the top of the ramp turn left at the traffic light, cross the interstate, then right on westbound hwy 100.  Entrance to SNR is immediately on the left.

PLAN:  This is a 1/2 day trip.  We'll be hiking from the parking lot on well-groomed trails for a total distance of about 4 miles.  There will be changes in elevation but they're gradual and walking is easy.  Our path will take us through the pinetum, down the Brush Creek Trail, across the prairie, through the Dana Brown camp, along the wetland, past the Serpentine Wall, Wolf Run Lake and finally back to our starting point.  The hike is designed to take us through a variety of habitats where we hope to find birds of the season plus residents.  Last year we tallied 41 species including hawks, waxwings, juncos, yellow-rumps and siskins.  There are proper toilets at the VC but none along our hike so plan accordingly.  As it's a 1/2 day trip no formal lunch stop is planned; bring your own food and drink to suit.

Follow this link for a map of SNR:

https://bit.ly/2Drpkew

PARTICIPATION:  Everyone is welcome, SLAS members and non-members.

LEADER:  Mike Thelen

COST:  The field trip is free; however, SNR charges a nominal entrance fee.  The fee is waived for members of the Missouri Botanical Garden.  Whether you are a member of the MBG or not please be sure to check-in with the desk inside the VC.  If the VC isn't open at 8 a.m. SNR asks that you use either the sign-in sheet or pay "through the door."  The front gate at SNR opens at 7 a.m. and closes at 5:30 p.m.

MORE INFO:  Contact me or visit www.stlouisaudubon.org

This is a great opportunity to get away from the cars, hike on what's forecast to be a splendid fall day and, most of all, enjoy the birds on one of the region's most beautiful areas.

Mike Thelen

Univ City, StL Cnty, MO