Report for Saturday, November 10, 2018

I know I shouldn't start this with the weather report but I can't resist the
urge to gush.  We enjoyed a spectacular fall day, correctly forecasted as
least as far back as last Wednesday, with a clear, flawless blue sky and a
brisk 22F at the start.  Fall colors, although past peak, were still vibrant
and striking.  These kinds of days are near the top of my list of favorites.

The field trip was originally planned to be a half-day but we extended that
a little to enjoy the hike, the day and the birds.  We eventually walked
five miles and spent six hours on the area.  Our path took us through the
pinetum, down the Brush Creek Trail, across the prairie with a brief stop at
the overlook platform (what a panorama), through the Dana Brown camp, along
the wetland, past the Serpentine Wall and Wolf Run Lake and finally back to
our starting point.

We stopped at the Dana Brown camp to survey the feeder station and trees.
There was a nice, mixed flock around the feeders including juncos,
chickadees, titmice, both nuthatches, Yellow-rumped Warblers and a Hairy
Woodpecker.

Highlights for the day included Snow Goose (fly-by in classic V formation);
5 raptors; all of the resident woodpeckers; both nuthatches; 3 wrens
including Winter and Sedge; Hermit Thrush; and 10 sparrows.  Many species
were vocal and one Song Sparrow, on the shoreline of the pinetum lake, was
still singing.

Many thanks to the sharp-eyed birders who pulled birds out of the grasses,
treetops and sky adding to our productivity and the diversity of our list.
We ended our hike with 47 species besting our list from last year by six.

Here's the full list with extensive comments and seven photos:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49831741

Mike Thelen
Univ City, StL Cnty, MO