This weekend 35 people from Missouri and Kansas participated with the Burroughs Audubon Society of Kansas City's field trip to central Kansas. With the help of many locals sharing sightings and passing along timely information, an extremely gracious couple granting permission for this group to visit their yard, and cooperating weather/birds we collectively observed and enjoyed 115 species around Quivira, Cheyenne Bottoms, and central Kansas. Below are brief highlights from evening on the August 24th through late morning on the 26th.

The Clark's Grebe that Scott Seltman first reported on June 26th at Horsethief Reservoir has remained for a couple of months and some of the group made a side trip to chase the local rarity in Hodgeman County.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48045866

Donnie and Kathy Kazmaier's graciousness permitted many in the group to observe Rufous and Broad-tailed Hummingbirds as well as White-winged Doves for the first time in Pawnee County. Jeff Calhoun and Dan Larson refound a family group of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks mere hours before our group headed that direction and the ducks, less than a mile east of last year's location, were quite fun to see.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48075245
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48075255

The hours looking for and scanning through flocks around Cheyenne Bottoms Wildlife Area and the Nature Conservancy properties were awesome with owls, shorebirds, ducks, waders, and gulls.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48075228
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48081329
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48085693

At Quivira National Wildlife Area we enjoyed studying close views of Western Sandpipers of various ages and molts as well as Snowy Plovers, other shorebirds, and ducks.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48075143

The birds were good but time with old friends and making new ones while enjoying nature was better.  Good Birding,

Malcolm Gold (Overland Park, KS)

ASM Fall Meeting: September 28-30, 2018 in Columbia Details and Online Registration