I got an appeal from Kimberly Rohling of the Cache River SNA Wetlands Center over in southern Illinois; she's looking for birders to help with fall migration counts.  Here are the details:

OCTOBER

Fall Migration Mini Sit

Sunday, October 7, 9:00am-noon

Location: pre-register to obtain a group location or head to the Wetland Center, Cache River State Natural Area

The “Mini Sit” is a bird watching event where our objective is to record as many bird species that we can in the Cache River State Natural Area from 9:00am-noon!  We are looking for birdwatchers of all levels to sit back, relax, and enjoy fall migration.  Teams are required to pre-register by September 23, 2018, so they can be assigned specific areas within the site.  Each team will sit in their 17 foot diameter circle for 3 hours, tallying all the birds that they can identify by sight or sound.  Data will be recorded on eBird hotspots.  There is no limit as to how many people can sit within the circle.  “Mini Sit” participants may work in shifts, but one person must be in the circle throughout the sitting period.  If you can’t get a team together, but want to contribute sightings, visit the Wetland Center to learn which access points are open for counts.  Passers-bys are welcome!  Bring a lawn chair, binoculars or a scope, and snacks to enjoy your morning.  After the event, we will have a pot luck lunch at the Wetland Center to learn what species were spotted.  Feel free to bring a dish.  If groups want to scout their location, we encourage you to do so the Saturday before to participate in eBird’s Global Big Day happening October 6th!  Our “Mini sit” is a spin-off of the “Big Sit” that will occur internationally October 13-14, 2018, when birdwatchers all over the world will sit for 24 hours to record every species that they see.  If you enjoyed your day, consider registering for the international event in the future.