After a summer break the Burroughs Audubon Society of Kansas City field trips start up next month. Many of the fall trips are listed and detailed on the following website.

http://burroughs.org/its-free/field-trips-programs/

Field trips are open to everyone, please consider this an invitation for you to join one or more whether you live around Kansas City, are visiting the area, or wish to attend one of the trips and meet new people. Everyone is invited regardless of membership and skill level.

Our first trip of the fall is a weekend trip to Quivira National Wildlife Refuge, Cheyenne Bottoms Wildlife Area, and central Kansas.  I hope that you consider joining me for the weekend or part of it as we enjoy these wonderful locations. Details with hyperlinked maps are available on the Burroughs Field Trip website and below. A special hotel rate was offered for this trip as long as you reserve a room by August 12th!

Good Birding,

Malcolm Gold (Overland Park, Kansas)

Friday, August 24th through Sunday, August 26th – Cheyenne Bottoms and Quivira

We’ll look for summer residents and southbound migrating birds as they stop-over at these two important wetlands and the areas surrounding Central Kansas. We hope to observe rails, shorebirds, owls, and hopefully other western species not often seen near Kansas City. This trip is spread out over three-days but the main part of this trip is all-day Saturday and half of Sunday. Feel free to join us for all or just part of the trip.

Participants are responsible for their own travel and lodging arrangements to Great Bend, KS. There are many options around the area to stay, feel free to shop around, but Malcolm has been very pleased with the rate and service at the Quality Inn. An exceptional rate of $64 is available for “Burroughs Audubon” at the Quality Inn for a 2nd-floor room with 2 queen beds. The deadline to reserve a room at this rate is August 12th. The Quality Inn is pet-friendly, has a tiny pool, and has breakfast in the morning.  In addition, this hotel will be the meeting location for a couple of the trip departures. For those who wish to carpool to Great Bend please contact Malcolm to make arrangements or coordinate with others on the Friends of Burroughs Audubon Society Facebook page.

A tentative schedule is as follows with the Quality Inn parking lot will be the meeting point for carpooling. Meet Friday, August 24th at 7 pm as we search for Owls near CB. If you are up for an early Saturday departure to check for rails at Quivira we will leave at 6 am on August 25th. If an early departure is not your preference, feel free to meet the group at 8:30 am at the Quivira Environmental Education Center 1 mile south of NE 140th St. The morning trip around Big Salt Marsh will end around lunch time at which time individuals can grab lunch back in Great Bend of in the car if they planned ahead. At 3 pm on Saturday we will meet and likely head toward Larned for the afternoon. We’ll meet at 8 pm to relax and socialize over supper at Page An American Bistro. Please text or email Malcolm if you plan to attend the supper so that an approximate headcount can be given to prepare for the group so that we might all sit together. On Sunday August 26th we will meet at 8 am at the Kansas Wetlands Education Center on Hwy K-156 to explore Cheyenne Bottoms. We’ll try to stick to this schedule as best we can, but if a zootie shows up the schedule is likely to be broken.

Bring your scope, camera, binoculars, bug spray, suntan, snacks and drinks for a weekend at these great locations. Individuals of all skill levels are welcome to attend. For more information, contact Malcolm Gold at 608-807-6086 or [log in to unmask].

ASM Fall Meeting: September 28-30, 2018 in Columbia Details and Online Registration