After a summer break the Burroughs Audubon Society of Kansas City field
trips start up next month. Many of the fall trips are listed and detailed
on the following website.

http://burroughs.org/its-free/field-trips-programs/

Field trips are open to everyone, please consider this an invitation for
you to join one or more whether you live around Kansas City, are visiting
the area, or wish to attend one of the trips and meet new people. Everyone
is invited regardless of membership and skill level.

Our first trip of the fall is a weekend trip to Quivira National Wildlife
Refuge, Cheyenne Bottoms Wildlife Area, and central Kansas.  I hope that
you consider joining me for the weekend or part of it as we enjoy these
wonderful locations. Details with hyperlinked maps are available on the
Burroughs Field Trip website and below. A special hotel rate was offered
for this trip as long as you reserve a room by August 12th!

Good Birding,

Malcolm Gold (Overland Park, Kansas)

*Friday, August 24th through Sunday, August 26th* – Cheyenne Bottoms and
Quivira

We’ll look for summer residents and southbound migrating birds as they
stop-over at these two important wetlands and the areas surrounding Central
Kansas. We hope to observe rails, shorebirds, owls, and hopefully other
western species not often seen near Kansas City. This trip is spread out
over three-days but the main part of this trip is all-day Saturday and half
of Sunday. Feel free to join us for all or just part of the trip.

Participants are responsible for their own travel and lodging arrangements
to Great Bend, KS. There are many options around the area to stay, feel
free to shop around, but Malcolm has been very pleased with the rate and
service at the Quality Inn
<https://www.choicehotels.com/kansas/great-bend/quality-inn-hotels/ks184?source=gyxt>.
An exceptional rate of $64 is available for “Burroughs Audubon” at the
Quality Inn for a 2nd-floor room with 2 queen beds. The deadline to reserve
a room at this rate is August 12th. The Quality Inn is pet-friendly, has a
tiny pool, and has breakfast in the morning.  In addition, this hotel will
be the meeting location for a couple of the trip departures. For those who
wish to carpool to Great Bend please contact Malcolm to make arrangements
or coordinate with others on the Friends of Burroughs Audubon Society
Facebook page.

A tentative schedule is as follows with the Quality Inn parking lot will be
the meeting point for carpooling. Meet Friday, August 24th at 7 pm as we
search for Owls near CB. If you are up for an early Saturday departure to
check for rails at Quivira we will leave at 6 am on August 25th. If an
early departure is not your preference, feel free to meet the group at 8:30
am at the Quivira Environmental Education Center
<https://goo.gl/maps/aNZqsbNGRwE2> 1 mile south of NE 140th St. The morning
trip around Big Salt Marsh will end around lunch time at which time
individuals can grab lunch back in Great Bend of in the car if they planned
ahead. At 3 pm on Saturday we will meet and likely head toward Larned for
the afternoon. We’ll meet at 8 pm to relax and socialize over supper at Page
An American Bistro <https://goo.gl/maps/tEjtUihiBcx>. Please text or email
Malcolm if you plan to attend the supper so that an approximate headcount
can be given to prepare for the group so that we might all sit together. On
Sunday August 26th we will meet at 8 am at the Kansas Wetlands Education
Center <https://goo.gl/maps/xV4iwEi3hxG2> on Hwy K-156 to explore Cheyenne
Bottoms. We’ll try to stick to this schedule as best we can, but if a
zootie shows up the schedule is likely to be broken.

Bring your scope, camera, binoculars, bug spray, suntan, snacks and drinks
for a weekend at these great locations. Individuals of all skill levels are
welcome to attend. For more information, contact Malcolm Gold at
608-807-6086 or [log in to unmask]