A lot of this will be birding from vehicles so do bring your FRS radios with you please.

Mike Grant

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Grant
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: SLAS Field Trip to Colombia Bottom and Riverlands

To St. Louis area birders (and others who may want to join us):

WHAT:     St. Louis Audubon Society field trip, full day.

WHEN:     Saturday, June 2

WHERE:   Meet at Columbia Bottom Conservation Area.  On the north side of I-270, head east to exit 34, marked for Riverview Drive (and also preceded by a brown sign for Columbia Bottom). Exit, turn left, and go about 2.5 miles to the Columbia Bottom entrance on the right. Turn in there, make an immediate left, and proceed to the parking lot near the visitor center.

MEETING TIME:   7:00 a.m.  We will walk around the visitor center vicinity for a little while before consolidating cars and taking off into the area.

TENTATIVE PLAN:  We will spend much of the morning at Columbia Bottom, looking for the many summer resident birds plus the possibility (if there is any water) of very late shorebirds, gulls, or terns, or some interesting waders. We'll keep a careful census of what we find, and the leader will submit an eBird report and post the results publicly.  Eventually we will head for the Riverlands area to complete the morning (if there is any of it left) and continue into the afternoon. I expect to stop for a fast-food lunch somewhere en route, but those who wish to bring their own lunch may do so.

WHO:  Everyone is welcome, whether a member of St. Louis Audubon Society or not.  Out-of-towners are invited!

CONDITIONS:  Please dress appropriately for whatever weather is predicted.  At this moment it is predicted to be hot with a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon.  Sunscreen and hats are advisable, as always.

LEADERS:  Myself and possibly some other members of the leader group.

Mike Grant

Chesterfield, MO