Today I began birding at Donaldson Point CA in New Madrid County. Along the
road on the east side of the area, I got two surprises. First a Black-billed
Cuckoo and then a Swainson's Warbler. Both were quite vocal. Next I went to
Seven Island CA in Mississippi County where some Bobolinks flew low over a
field. Above a Mississippi River chute there, I watched a Bald Eagle and
Black Vulture soaring among a group of Turkey Vultures and Mississippi
Kites. After that, it was on to Ten Mile Pond CA where I watched a Peregrine
Falcon battle a strong south headwind. In the F South unit, there were
Dunlins in breeding plumage mixed with peeps and pecs and a few Blue-winged
Teal. In Field R1, I found four beautiful Black-bellied Plovers and some
Black-necked Stilts. On the way home, I stopped at the Sikeston Burger King
(I-55 exit 67) and found the Western Kingbird that Tim Kavan reported
yesterday.  Western Kingbirds have nested at this site the last three years.
I hope this will be a fourth. A very good day in the flatlands.

Mark Haas

Jackson, MO