Hi everyone. In case you missed it, please find here GIJN's latest news.

If you like our newsletter, you can always subscribe here

Have a nice weekend,

Gabriela Manuli
GIJN Deputy Director

Why Reporting Matters, Syrian Archive, Tracking Autocrat Travel
View this email in your browser
GIJN Bulletin -- May 3, 2018

Why Reporting Matters

At a time journalists are under unprecedented attack -- and the need for watchdog reporting has never been greater -- please join GIJN in marking World Press Freedom Day today. In tribute to our colleagues on the front lines around the world, we'd like to quote from Yale University historian Timothy Snyder's recent talk, Why Reporters Are Heroes:

When we talk about the media and complain about the media, it’s easy to forget that within the media are a tiny group of individuals doing what’s hard; they are actually trying to find things out. Why is that so important? Everything good that we take for granted in a free society depends on factuality. And without reporters we don’t have factuality... Which brings me to freedom. Freedom depends upon factuality. Freedom depends upon reporters...

The Syrian Archive

A Berlin-based group of researchers has launched the world’s first publicly accessible database of chemical weapons attacks in Syria. It has archived over 1.5 million pieces of digital content, of which around 4,400 have been fact-checked. Here are five ways investigative reporters can dig into the Syrian Archive.

 Tracking a President's Travels

Cameroon’s president, Paul Biya, likes to travel abroad. Really likes it. This guy has spent at least four and a half years on "brief private visits," travelling in luxury, to the increasing ire of Cameroonians. Journalist Emmanuel Freudenthal details how he and his colleagues collaborated across continents to count Biya's days abroad and build their story.

GIJN Brainstorms

Our global staff -- spread over seven countries on four continents -- held a rare in-person meeting last month. GIJN's focus: brainstorming on the future of our fast-growing network, on how to better serve and strengthen the global investigative journalism community. We've come up with some exciting ideas and we can't wait to put them in action. Stay tuned.
Also on GIJN.org

Meet the Watchdog Scientists Battling Dubious Scientific Research, John Power

101 Reporters Connects Journalists Across India with Media Organizations, Ayesha Aleem

Pactio: Where Loyal Readers Follow — and Fund — Their Favorite Reporters, Shan Wang

We Had Four Successful Crowdfunding Campaigns. Here Are 10 Tips for Your Newsroom, Andras Petho

How Pakistani Journalists Subvert Danger — and the Narrative — with Data, Eva Constantaras

Who Maps the World?, Sarah Holder

Top Ten #ddj: The Week's Most Popular Journalism Links (April 16-22) & (April 9-15); GIJN & Connected Action

Tips & Tools

Mobile Journalism Guide, KAS Media Asia

Collaborative Investigative Tools, The Bureau Local

Global Press Freedom Report, Freedom House

Triple Searches in Google Street View, Mashed World

Visualizing Differences, Flowing Data

Stay Safe When Interviewing, Journalism News

Online Harassment Field Manual, Pen America

200 Global Datasets, Resource Watch

Ruralometer, Reporter Brasil

Reporting Grants for Property Rights Data, Pulitzer Ctr

ISOJ 2018 Videos & Recaps, ISOJ

Stories of the Week

US: Long Wait for Asylum, ProPublica

Sri Lanka: Facebook & False Rumors, NYTimes

Puerto Rico: Hurricanes Expose Negligence, CPI

Indonesia: A Top Judge's Land Deals, Gecko Project

Russia: Secret Flights to Syria, Reuters

Taiwan: Migrant Deaths, Reporter

Lebanon: State for Rent, ARIJ

US: Neo-Nazi Rally "A Mess," Reveal

2018 Dart Award Winners, Dart Center

2018 Pulitzer Prize Winners

Coming Events

Support GIJN
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
GIJN.org
GIJN.org
Contact Us
Contact Us
LinkedIn
LinkedIn
YouTube
YouTube
Pinterest
Pinterest
Google Plus
Google Plus
Copyright © 2018 Global Investigative Journalism Network (GIJN), All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
P.O. Box 7375 · Silver Spring, MD 20907 · USA

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences

======================================================================= To unsubscribe or modify list settings go to <URL:lists.reporter.org>. Click "Get Password" if you don't have one, login and visit the "Subscriber's Corner". To unsubscribe now click <mailto:[log in to unmask]> (sends a blank e-mail) or send "unsubscribe GLOBAL-L" in the body of an e-mail message to [log in to unmask]"">"[log in to unmask]". Please e-mail [log in to unmask] if you need help or have questions. =======================================================================