Thanks, Tom.

However, I did not discover this beautiful and exceptional birding spot on my own. Barb Brownell, who joined us on the SLAS Field trip, April 21, told me about the spot. So I'd like to thank Barb for that.

I would also encourage anyone in the St. Louis/St. Charles area to check this spot out and follow that up by contacting the University of Missouri Curators who have proposed selling this property for homes development, which will most certainly despoil this area.

Below I'm reposting a letter (in part) that came by the way of Cathleen Halek. Many thanks to her for providing this important piece of information.

Regarding the proposed Missouri Bluffs Development (PUD18-01).  Your comments are a vital part of the process that will continue with the next County Council meeting on April 30th at 7 p.m.  Because of your concern, I am sending you some additional information that you may find useful.

The decision to sell this property was made by the Curators of the University of Missouri.  You can contact them via email at [log in to unmask], by phone at 573-882-2388 or by mail to UM Board of Curators, 316 University Hall, Columbia, Missouri  65211.  Three of the nine curators are from the St. Louis region and may be familiar with the area.  They are Ms. Julia Brncic, Mr. Darryl Chatman, and Mr. Maurice Graham.

Of particular interest to the curators may be the fact that the University’s Director of Real Estate, Mr. Kevin Hogg, stated at the 4/9 Council meeting that no public Parks, Conservation, Zoological, Horticultural, or Natural Resource organizations were contacted regarding this property.  Nor were the myriad of private, nonprofit organizations that serve to conserve our natural resources.  I find it unfathomable that these organizations were not contacted with the University’s asking price for this property.

I would encourage you to contact the Curators as soon as possible. I want them to know that these bluffs are near several public trails and conservation areas and are valuable to the residents of the area.  And then I will respectfully ask them to delay this sale until such time that the various public and private organizations that could be interested in preserving these bluffs are contacted about purchasing this land.  The next Board of Curators meeting is on June 21-22 in Columbia.

Thanks again for your input, I hope this information is helpful.

Respectfully,

Joe Cronin
St. Charles County Council District 1

Bob Bailey St. Louis, MO [log in to unmask]