Dear All,

I forgot to post the several Yellow-throated Warblers also seen on this trail Sunday.

This .75 mile hiking, biking, walking trail that connects to the Katy Trail, knows as Busch Greenway, was one the best birding experiences I've ever had near St. Louis. If you live nearby, you must check this trail out while the trees have yet to go into full foliage.

I also want to highlight this trail because it has been just pointed out to me that there is a major commercial development being proposed that would most certainly have negative consequences for the wildlife in the area. You can read from a letter of a concerned citizen and a St. Charles County Council Member below regarding the proposed development pasted below.

Basic directions to the trail: Get off onto the exit that's just west of the Daniel Boone Bridge. Follow Research Park Drive, which meanders to the west and south. You'll find yourself in a business park area and will eventually see a small green sign indicating Busch Greenway. Make a left at that sign and you'll ultimately end up at a parking lot for the trail. You can also access it from Hwy 94 by taking the same road (Missouri Research Park Drive) that's just south of US 64 of 94.

https://greatriversgreenway.org/greenway/busch-greenway/
[log in to unmask],-90.6884722,15z" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" previewremoved="true" id="LPlnk525525">https://www.google.com/maps/dir//38.71,[log in to unmask],-90.6884722,15z[log in to unmask],-90.6884722,15z" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" id="LPlnk545553" previewremoved="true">[log in to unmask],-90.6884722,15z" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" previewremoved="true" id="LPlnk600570">

Dear Concerned Citizen,

Thank you for contacting County government regarding the proposed Missouri Bluffs Development (PUD18-01).  Your comments are a vital part of the process that will continue with the next County Council meeting on April 30th at 7 p.m.  Because of your concern, I am sending you some additional information that you may find useful.

The decision to sell this property was made by the Curators of the University of Missouri.  You can contact them via email at [log in to unmask], by phone at 573-882-2388 or by mail to UM Board of Curators, 316 University Hall, Columbia, Missouri  65211.  Three of the nine curators are from the St. Louis region and may be familiar with the area.  They are Ms. Julia Brncic, Mr. Darryl Chatman, and Mr. Maurice Graham.

Of particular interest to the curators may be the fact that the University’s Director of Real Estate, Mr. Kevin Hogg, stated at the 4/9 Council meeting that no public Parks, Conservation, Zoological, Horticultural, or Natural Resource organizations were contacted regarding this property.  Nor were the myriad of private, nonprofit organizations that serve to conserve our natural resources.  I find it unfathomable that these organizations were not contacted with the University’s asking price for this property.

I would encourage you to contact the Curators as soon as possible. I want them to know that these bluffs are near several public trails and conservation areas and are valuable to the residents of the area.  And then I will respectfully ask them to delay this sale until such time that the various public and private organizations that could be interested in preserving these bluffs are contacted about purchasing this land.  The next Board of Curators meeting is on June 21-22 in Columbia.

Thanks again for your input, I hope this information is helpful.

Respectfully,

Joe Cronin
St. Charles County Council District 1

Bob Bailey