I checked Canteen Lake which had lots of Yellowlegs and Pectorals, but nothing else that I could see.  I then crossed the railroad tracks and looked into the south end of Horseshoe Lake proper.  While I was doing this a very polite police man stopped and asked what I was doing.  When I explained that I was bird watching, he warned me to stay away from the railroad tracks.  I thanked and told him that I had no desire to become a statistic.  There were lots of birds visible mostly Yellowlegs and Pectorals, but I did find two or three Dunlin, a few Semipalmated Plovers, four distant Dowitchers that I finally decided were Long-billed, and three Black-necked Stilts.  While I was there a Marsh Wren was singing in the marsh below me, but it never showed itself.  There were more shorebirds around the edge or Lake further north including a Solitary and a Spotted Sandpiper.

Riverlands itself was fairly quiet, but the Red-throated Loon is still present and there were at least eight Caspian Terns.  Most of the shorebirds were in the back of Lincoln-Shields at the West Alton Boat Ramp.  Aside from the hordes of Yellowlegs and Pectoral Sandpipers all I could find were two Least Sandpipers.

David Becher

Saint Louis