No luck for me on the Red Crossbills this morning. I spent about an hour
walking the edges of the big grassy area, working the singed pines, but no
Red Crossbills to be seen or heard.  It is, however, the best place I know
to hone your ability to distinguish between the songs of Chipping Sparrow
and Pine Warbler, both quite active all over the place.

-Allen Gathman
Pocahontas (Cape Girardeau County), MO