This didn't seem to post earlier this afternoon, so trying again....

With a starting temperature of 26 degrees, fourteen hardy birders joined me and Pat Lueders for St. Louis Audubon's bird walk at Castlewood State Park this morning. The appearance of the long-absent sun made for a lot of bird activity.  Highlights included
Louisiana Waterthrush- 4
Yellow-throated Warbler - 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler - conservatively 20 in one area which made for a good study of how highly variable the plumage in this species can be

It seemed like we had an ongoing competition between Brown Creeper and Winter Wren, both of which were very abundant, with Brown Creeper coming out on top with a total of 12, closely followed by 11 Winter Wren.  We scoped a Great Egret on a nest in the heron rookery that can be seen from the boat ramp; Bernie and Jean Favara have watched this rookery for many years and this is the first time they have seen a Great Egret in this rookery that has always been occupied by Great Blue Herons.

The majority of the group got on 49 species which can be found on the eBird checklist
https://eBird.org/view/checklist/S44339723

Mick had a Black Vulture, Dave had a Cooper's Hawk, and Tony and Margie had a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, bringing the species total to 52.  If anyone on the walk did not get the eBird list shared with them and would like to, contact Pat at [log in to unmask]  Thanks to everyone for a really fun morning, and as always, thanks to Bernie for hauling the scope.

Sue Gustafson
St. Louis, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/