There are still no leaves on the trees at Castlewood.  I had four Yellow-throated Warblers all feeding on the paved road past the railroad tracks.  I am not sure what they were eating, but it also attracted some Yellow-rumped Warblers, White-breasted Nuthatches, Juncos, Titmice, Chickadees, Downy Woodpeckers, and a Chipping Sparrow.  One Downy paid the ultimate price for feeding on the road.

Even weirder, one of the Yellow-throated Warblers was singing from the ground.

I checked the Great Blue Heron colony across the river.  Several nests appear active.  There were two Great Egrets in the colony.  One appeared to be sharing a nest with a Great Blue with the other nearby.  Was it a dispute over ownership or a ménage a trois.  In the latter case we could be looking at some very odd herons in our future.

David Becher

Saint Louis

ASM Spring Meeting: May 4-6, 2018 at Arrow Rock