My apologies, my report of the early Broad-winged Hawk was mistaken!  Thank you to those who gently pointed out to me that the bird was an immature Red-shouldered Hawk.

Another lesson learned and I am grateful to Brad Jacobs who pointed out that the "red-shouldered hawk has multi-colored secondaries, light and dark banding on the folded wing secondaries just above the primaries. A broad-winged hawk would have solid brown on these feathers. These two species immatures are very difficult to tell, so always look for the pattern on the secondary feather of a perched bird."

Good birding,
Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, ST. Louis CO, MO
hummerhavenunltd.com