From eBird - GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW still present yesterday, 4 March - seen and photographed by Kendell Loyd and Tim Barksdale.

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, Missouri

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 3, 2018, at 5:34 PM, Josh - ATT <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello Missouri Birders:

Decided to get off the beaten path early this morning and head to some counties I have never recorded birds in…. ever.  It paid off!  I found “what I am calling” a first-winter GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, mixed in with numerous White-crowned and American Tree Sparrows at Bunch Hollow CA, Carroll County.  What an awesome surprise!

Specifically, the bird was in the first brush pile on the right (or west side) of CR181 after turning off of CR130, this would be directly across (or south) from parking spot 5.  I think this bird is certainly re-findable – But, it might take some searching with all the brush piles in this general area.  Also, I would recommend if searching for this bird to pick up a map at one of the parking areas – As CR181 does not have a street sign marking it.

Lastly, the bird was not exactly a standout – his yellow forehead only showed well when the sun hit it.  Matter of fact, at first I just saw it as a dingy, drabber immature White-crowned with a funky head pattern…….  Regardless - Photos in the below eBird checklist show the yellow crown and gray bill:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S43337970

I believe this is the 5th Missouri Record – Assuming the MBRC accepts it of course.

Joshua Uffman

St. Louis County, Missouri