2 Cinnamon Teal continuing 8:30 am. 3395 E Farm Road 82, Springfield, MO

Good birding,
Greg Swick
Ozark, MO

Sent from my iPhone
Greg Swick

On Feb 28, 2018, at 4:09 PM, Greg Swick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi MoBirders,
Yes, Jared is correct.  I found the 2 male Cinnamon Teal in breeding plumage in casual water north of Springfield at around 9:30 am.  I would have posted earlier, but had a day full of birding, lunch with friends, and errands to run.
When I arrived the casual water was teaming with ducks and geese, including 2 Ross's Geese, and a half dozen or more Cackling Geese.  The Ross' caught my attention so I got my scope on them, but as I was scanning to the left, I picked up the two Cinnamon drakes sleeping in the partially submerged grasses near the edge of the water.
I was able to get the word out to a few locals, but the last known observer was Klee Bruce at around 2:00 pm. The text I received at 2:29 from 16 year old Klee stated:  "Missouri lifer: watched them for about 10 minutes until a semi drove into a driveway and set its air brake.  Every single duck on the pond took off and did not return"
There are a few local birders who are probably searching in the area now.  I'll update if they relocate the birds.
Here's a link to my checklist:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S43264301

Good birding,
Greg Swick
Ozark, MO.

P. S.  Shortly thereafter, Steve and Debbie Martin reported a single Trumpeter Swan on Farm Road 166,  east of Hwy 125 in Greene County.  Ruth Grant and I drove over to see the bird.  Still there.