Given that Emily Hale always believed Eliot would marry her if he were free (while still married, and after Vivienne's death that he had taken a vow of celibacy), and that she believed it for many reasons and many years--they corresponded for thirty years, and that he visited her in the US and she visited him in England--and that he then married Valerie without telling her and she learned of it--as I recall--from a newspaper, and that she then had a breakdown, I don't think it is really much of a Valentine story or about love.

The memories CR quotes are from the day Eliot and Emily went to Burnt Norton together. But that did not presage any commitment despite the thirty year relationship (not counting the beginning when he was at Harvard and is reported to have said he loved her) or seem to mean she might at least have been informed of the impending marriage.

This story is tragic, not romantic.
Nancy