Thanks for refreshing my memory on this.

Carrol

-----Original Message-----
From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rickard A. Parker
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Unpublished letters (was: The Love Song of T.S. Eliot and Emily Hale)

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 20:33:20 +0000, Cox, Carrol <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Slightly Off Topic
>
>The copyright law being discussed here is relatively recent. Its origins was in politicians licking the asds of Disney Corp, and was originally referred as the Mickey Mouse Law -- that is, the purpose was to give Disney a break by extending Disney's control over Mickey Mouse.

That's not the complete story.

The Copyright Term Extension Act (CTEA) of 1998 extended copyright terms in the United States.  This law, also known as the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, Sonny Bono Act, or (derisively) the Mickey Mouse Protection Act,[4] effectively "froze" the advancement date of the public domain in the United States for works covered by the older fixed term copyright rules.

So Representative Sonny Bono  pushed the act forward for Disney with the (a-humm) "side-effect" of lengthening the copyright of a certain well-known composer.