Given that Emily Hale always believed Eliot would marry her if he were free
(while still married, and after Vivienne's death that he had taken a vow of
celibacy), and that she believed it for many reasons and many years--they
corresponded for thirty years, and that he visited her in the US and she
visited him in England--and that he then married Valerie without telling
her and she learned of it--as I recall--from a newspaper, and that she then
had a breakdown, I don't think it is really much of a Valentine story or
about love.

The memories CR quotes are from the day Eliot and Emily went to Burnt
Norton together. But that did not presage any commitment despite the thirty
year relationship (not counting the beginning when he was at Harvard and is
reported to have said he loved her) or seem to mean she might at least have
been informed of the impending marriage.

This story is tragic, not romantic.
Nancy