On Mar 4, 2017, at 8:45 AM, Allen Gathman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Finally got out to Maintz Conservation Area in the pre-dawn hours to listen for woodcocks this morning, and I wasn't disappointed.  I heard four, all while I was standing on the dam below pond #2.  They were peenting, cackling, and chirping, though I only heard one whistling flight, and that one too far away for me to see.  May have been a bit cool and breezy for it this morning.

Barred Owls were very vocal, and there was a pair of Great Horned Owls calling in the woods west of the pond.

While listening for nocturnal birds, I also had a nice look at the stars on this clear morning; to the west, Jupiter was near Spica for a pretty display, and then later I looked up and saw another object almost as bright as Jupiter.  It puzzled me, and got out the Sky Guide app on my phone to check.  Right about then I noticed it was moving pretty rapidly toward the northeast; it was the International Space Station!

After it got light, I also heard a Brown Thrasher singing -- first I've heard that song this year.  Field Sparrows and Song Sparrows were singing actively as well.

-Allen Gathman
Pocahontas, MO (Cape Girardeau County)