I wonder how many on this list have been to a Burns Night. It is a fabulous celebration of Scotland's great poet, and there is no reason to compare Burns to Woolf or anyone. I have attended, arranged, and given the Immortal Memory at various Burns Nights, and they have rituals; humor; sometimes fine speeches about poetry;  and haggis, neeps, and taties plus single malt Scotch.  I am a feminist and lover of Woolf, but the notion of setting up a competition is silly. No one is prevented from celebrating Woolf if they choose, and it has no relation to celebrating Burns.

And if we are basing this on the author's morals, it is even more silly. Pound was a Fascist; Eliot has been challenged on many grounds--with plenty of evidence; Lawrence was awful to his wife. But the TSE Society has parties every year, and Pound enthusiasts have conferences. And no one says they should have them on some other poet instead.

I don't really know whether Burns's many sexual experiences were what I would approve. But Liz Lochhead is right that it does not change the poetry.

I only wish this country could imagine a major holiday / celebration of a poet.
Nancy