Greetings, Susan and Others Interested,

I’m not sure of the best field guides, but I recommend checking out The Jerusalem Bird Observatory at  http://www.birds.org.il/en/index.aspx <http://www.birds.org.il/en/index.aspx>. You’ll find checklists, updates, and maps to birding centers and nest cams all on the main page. Importantly, there is a strong cohort that we have met at meetings and they working for bird conservation in Israel. In particular, Amir Balaban did a remarkable job of presenting on “The positive effect of birds on wildlife education and conservation in urban areas of Israel". They actually use bird and biodiversity data as a tool for urban planning, looking at it as just another part of their infrastructure. Imagine that!

The Israel Birding Portal also provides links to:

Trip Planning: http://www.birds.org.il/en/tourismLanding.aspx <http://www.birds.org.il/en/tourismLanding.aspx>
Conservation & Projects: http://www.birds.org.il/en/Projects <http://www.birds.org.il/en/Projects>

Happy Holidays!

Yours in Conservation,