I checked out Bradford Farm at lunch today and I was lucky enough to see
what I assume was Pete's falcon.

Driving south toward Bradford on Ben Williams Road, I noticed a compact
flock of several hundred blackbirds flying overhead. When I pulled over and
got out my binoculars, I could see that there was a raptor harassing the
flock. The birds were all in silhouette, so I couldn't see any markings,
but the silhouette was clearly a falcon and the size was about twice as
large as the blackbirds.

The falcon would fly alongside the flock, then merge into the group and try
to pick off a bird. No high-speed stoop. I watched for a couple minutes,
hoping to see a successful hunt, but when I got out of my car to get a
windshield-free view, I lost track of the flock.

This winter, Boone County has enough blackbirds to feed any number of
wintering falcons. I hope the Bradford  bird will stick around and
entertain us, and leave the shrikes and mockingbirds alone!

--
John Besser
Columbia MO