ps - The poet does, indeed, do the police in different voices !!

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:06 PM Chanan Mittal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
There are different voices in THE WASTE LAND. And whether or not we identify the poet with any specific voices, we know where the poet’s sympathies lie, where he speaks (so to say), in whichever guise. He remains the chief protagonist of the poem. The larger context of Eliot’s work leaves no shade of doubt about the central character’s moorings.

I mount the steps and ring the bell, turning
Wearily, as one would turn to nod good-bye to Rochefoucauld,
If the street were time and he at the end of the street ...

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44209/the-boston-evening-transcript-56d22337256f0

CR