Thanks, Nancy Gish, for sharing that lovely piece of poetry by MacDiarmid,
especially on this occasion. I dwelt long on it, intrigued by

“But the byspale's nae thocht o' sleep i' the least.”

"My story," MacDiarmid once said, "is the story of an absolutist whose
absolutes came to grief in his private life."

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poets/hugh-macdiarmid

Look forward to reading some of his great verse.

Regards and best wishes,
 CR