42nd Annual Conference of the German Studies Association

September 27-30, 2018 | Pittsburgh, PA

Call for Papers (GSA 2018 Panel): *The Re-embodied Body: New discussions on
the body in German culture*

Submission deadline: *February 1st, 2018*

Despite an obsession with the body in contemporary popular culture (such as
Guenther Hagen’s controversial exhibition “Body worlds”, Christian
Petzold’s film *Phoenix* (2014), or Juli Zeh’s novel *Corpus Delicti*),
scholarly attention to the topic of the body has been scant in recent
years. Our panel attempts to re-address this de-centralized body through
analysis of various representations of the body throughout German culture.
The human condition instigates what appears to be a cyclical engagement
with the body. As time and technology push forward, the body is often left
as an afterthought that needs to flex and mold to evolving cultural
contexts. We thus ask: How do we approach the body-mind duality today vs.
in the past?  How are bodies translated into different media (e.g. from
book to film; from the physical to the digital)? How are depictions of the
body evolving through various media and how does it relate to lived
experiences? We invite abstracts which reflect on topics relating to the
body-mind duality, how the body gets ‘lost in translation’ in the digital
age, and how the de-centralized body illuminates new and old tensions
between the embodied experience with advancements in technology.

Topics include but are not limited to:

●     Body modification and/or mutilation (such as tattoos, scarification,
piercings or transdermals)

●     Cultural inscription

●     Body- beauty politics

●     Body as a text / medium of inscription

●     Theoretical engagement with body politics, including race, gender and
class.

●     Disability and accessibility

●     The intersection of technology, media and the body

●     Individual vs. collective participation in culture expressed through
presentations of the body

●     Tensions within the confines of what is considered ‘taboo’ regarding
the body

Please send abstracts (300 words) and a short bio to Cynthia Porter (
[log in to unmask] ) and Verena Hutter
([log in to unmask]) by *February
1st, 2018*. As per GSA regulation, collaborative work is limited to two
presenters. Please also indicate whether you need audio-visual equipment.
All prospective presenters *must be paid members of the German Studies
Association* for the current year (by Feb. 15th, 2018). Please see
www.thegsa.org for membership information.