German Studies Association

Sept. 27-30, 2018 - Pittsburgh, PA

Interdisciplinary Environmental Studies Network

Abstracts due Jan. 15, 2018

The Environmental Studies Network invites submissions for a series of panels for the 2018 GSA, taking place Sept. 27-30, 2018 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

We invite submissions for a series of panels entitled "Resilience."  The concept of “Resilience” has been both welcomed and challenged with regard to climate change. We invite submissions that consider how resilience informs what and how we see and analyze in environmental, historical and cultural texts. What does resilience mean? What analytic windows does it open? What approaches does it (fore)close? How does it allow us to re-envision the intersection of the arts, humanities and sciences with regard to climate change and the Anthropocene?

Topics include but are not limited to the following:

            ·      cross-disciplinary research in the digital environmental humanities;

            ·      cultural geography;

            ·      environmental literary criticism;

            ·      environmental philosophy and religious studies;

            ·      film, media and visual studies; and

            ·      historical narratives of resilience.

Please send 250-500 word abstracts, CV, and AV requests by Monday, January 15, 2018 to all three Environmental Studies Network coordinators:

Timothy Brown          [log in to unmask]

Christina Gerhardt      [log in to unmask]

Sabine Mödersheim    [log in to unmask]

Presenters must be members of the German Studies Association.

Information on membership is available on the GSA website: www.thegsa.org

The Environmental Studies Network, founded in 2012 within the German Studies Association, promotes interdisciplinary eco-critical approaches to environmental issues through cultural, digital, historical, literary, historical and visual studies. Scholars within the Environmental Studies Network are keenly interested in examining how these areas of study, which include political and philosophical questions drawn from deep ecology, eco-feminism, environmental justice, “new materialism” and the Anthropocene, might inform our understanding of German studies. The German Studies Environmental Studies Network welcomes debate and dialogue with the natural sciences and policy studies.  Indeed, it is our goal to show that environmental problems are always already both cultural and scientific.

##

Christina Gerhardt, Associate Professor, University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
Visiting Scholar, 2017-2018 - UC-Berkeley
https://berkeley.academia.edu/ChristinaGerhardt

Recent article, forthcoming edited volume and book:
Climate Change, Hawaii and the Pacific
Atlas of (Remote) Islands and Sea Level Rise