*German Studies Association*

*Sept. 27-30, 2018 - Pittsburgh, PA*

*Interdisciplinary Environmental Studies Network*

*Abstracts due Jan. 15, 2018*

The *Environmental Studies Network* invites submissions for a series of
panels for the 2018 GSA, taking place Sept. 27-30, 2018 in Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania.

We invite submissions for a series of panels entitled "Resilience."  The
concept of “Resilience” has been both welcomed and challenged with regard
to climate change. We invite submissions that consider how resilience
informs what and how we see and analyze in environmental, historical and
cultural texts. What does resilience mean? What analytic windows does it
open? What approaches does it (fore)close? How does it allow us to
re-envision the intersection of the arts, humanities and sciences with
regard to climate change and the Anthropocene?

Topics include but are not limited to the following:

            ·      cross-disciplinary research in the digital environmental
humanities;

            ·      cultural geography;

            ·      environmental literary criticism;

            ·      environmental philosophy and religious studies;

            ·      film, media and visual studies; and

            ·      historical narratives of resilience.

Please send 250-500 word abstracts, CV, and AV requests by *Monday, January
15, 2018* to all three Environmental Studies Network coordinators:

Timothy Brown          [log in to unmask]

Christina Gerhardt      [log in to unmask]

Sabine Mödersheim    [log in to unmask]

Presenters must be members of the German Studies Association.

Information on membership is available on the GSA website: www.thegsa.org

The Environmental Studies Network, founded in 2012 within the German
Studies Association, promotes interdisciplinary eco-critical approaches to
environmental issues through cultural, digital, historical, literary,
historical and visual studies. Scholars within the Environmental Studies
Network are keenly interested in examining how these areas of study, which
include political and philosophical questions drawn from deep ecology,
eco-feminism, environmental justice, “new materialism” and the
Anthropocene, might inform our understanding of German studies. The German
Studies Environmental Studies Network welcomes debate and dialogue with the
natural sciences and policy studies.  Indeed, it is our goal to show that
environmental problems are always already both cultural and scientific.
##

Christina Gerhardt, Associate Professor,
<http://manoa.hawaii.edu/llea/german/faculty/christina-gerhardt/>University
of Hawai'i at Mānoa
<http://manoa.hawaii.edu/llea/german/faculty/christina-gerhardt/>
Visiting Scholar, 2017-2018 - UC-Berkeley
<https://ies.berkeley.edu/visiting-scholars>
https://berkeley.academia.edu/ChristinaGerhardt

Recent article, forthcoming edited volume and book:
"Narrating Entanglement: Cixous' 'Stigmata, or Job the Dog
<http://www.mdpi.com/2076-0787/6/4/75>,'" *Humanities *6.4 (2017).
*Climate Change, Hawaii and the Pacific*
*Atlas of (Remote) Islands and Sea Level Rise*