This may be out of date even as I write it, but...I was at RMBS starting at 7:00 this morning and failed to find the owl at the location of yesterday, or anywhere else in the vicinity. Doug Hommert and David Rudder were there looking too.

As a reminder, Al Smith was correct to note that the owl's location on the rock jetty was solidly in Illinois, not Missouri. The eBird hotspot for this area is "Melvin Price Lock and Dam 26, Alton."  It is NOT "Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary," as that hotspot covers Missouri only. If the bird is entered for the Riverlands hotspot, then it is incorrectly recorded for Missouri. I acknowledge that it only had to fly a short distance to change that, but as far as I know, it didn't.

To see the Corps of Engineers' map of Riverlands, showing the "approximate state line" as they modestly put it, go to

http://www.mvs.usace.army.mil/Portals/54/docs/recreation/rivers/Birds/RMBS%20MAP-Access%20Restricts.pdf

Of course, if it's the same owl as the one on Cora Island Road, it's already been in both states. I've heard one person's opinion that it is the same. Personally I have no idea -- I haven't seen either one! (My only personal observation of Snowy Owl in St. Charles County goes back to 1968.)

Bill Rowe

St. Louis