At the start, the weather was in the low 60s and rose to almost 70 with intermittent light sprinkles.  There was a strong breeze that had us wearing warmer jackets than temps of that level would suggest.  Teal Pond had Mallards, Hooded Mergansers, Canada Geese, Ring-billed Gulls, a few Trumpeter Swans and one Tundra.  An American Kestrel was on a distant electrical line.

Driving towards Heron Pond a Horned Grebe was near the shore in Ellis Bay.  Heron Pond had the Black-Bellied Whistling-Ducks camped out on what may have been a muskrat mound.  This gave good looks at their bodies.  Most of the other ducks we saw were here also along with a Great Blue Heron.  Flocks of Snow and Greater White-fronted Geese landed while we were there and a couple Ross’s were with those flocks.

From near Heron Pond Pat found a Common Loon in Ellis Bay.  Very shortly we noticed the very sky approaching from the northwest and then the rain and cold arrived.  Most of us headed to the Audubon Center but Pat went to Ellis Island parking lot and located the Red-necked Grebe.  We followed shortly and enjoyed a good look at it with nearby Pied-billed Grebes to compare with.

A drive back to the dam was a waste of time and most the group had dissipated by them.  I drove some new birders over to the Great Rivers Museum so they would know where it was and afterwards we checked the channels along highway 143.  The only new for the day bird was a Killdeer but I don’t think that anybody else saw it.

Pat reported a Barn Swallow that I did not see so it isn’t on the checklist.  She also reported 400 Swans in Heron Pond at 7AM, most departed by 7:20.  Waterfowl numbers seemed lower to me than on Monday.  I had numerous Bonaparte’s Gulls on Monday, I saw none today.

Riverlands checklist here:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40579907

34 species on my checklist, 13 birders.  Included two ladies from India and one lady born in Taiwan.

Anybody wanting the checklist shared please email me.

Mike Grant

Chesterfield, MO