In point of fact the point I’m making is nothing new. It was raised as
earlier as that. It was made by Grover Smith too (TS Eliot’s Poetry and
Plays: A Study in Sources and Meaning). Eliot, he wrote, was admittedly a
classicist only ‘in tendency.’ Temperamentally a romantic, he abhorred the
gap between the actual and the ideal. All the same Eliot paved the way for
a new idiom of poetry.

CR