Yea, kestrel!  I once was startled to see an Osprey take a starling--not as big a challenge as for kestrel, but I was still surprised.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lawrence Herbert" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2017 8:27:26 AM
Subject: Kestrel prey item

I saw an American kestrel grab a starling
yesterday morning.  The starling seemed as big
as the male kestrel.
Kestrels switch from insects in season to birds and
small mammals in the fall and winter.

Larry, in Joplin.
Lawrence Herbert                                 10-16-17.

mailto:[log in to unmask]