I think we should consider a couple of problems raised by the
student paper. It is clearly written by a smart undergraduate who writes
very well. But it illustrates what I think is an increasingly serious
issue, not only in academia but in the country: evaluating a text (or
anything) on how it makes one feel. I deleted the text, but now I think I
should have reread it. Nonetheless, the writer has apparently been
asked--or has chosen--to respond to TWL on the basis of its effect on her
personal experience and feelings. And I do not mean reader-response, which
requires careful analysis. Rather, it simply "shares" her feelings of
exclusion or inclusion.

That can be an effective way to start an examination of the text but only a
start; as a conclusion, it does not really honor the text itself or the
importance of studying the voices in it.

Second, I have no idea what "design" constitutes the beauty and strength of
TWL. Even Eliot later in life said it had no design. If by this is meant
Weston, that has been shown to be meaningless for decades. As I have
written recently, I think Hugh Kenner was partly right in 1973 when he
speculated that it had originally been meant as a "modern Aeneid" but that
was dropped. In fact, it was not dropped, as we now know from the fact that
sections can be dated (the second typewriter and the letters were not
available to Kenner).

But there are far more parallels between TWL and the* Aeneid* than between
TWL and Weston (the only direct allusions are in section V, and the
supposed design was Pound's).  Gareth Reeves, Eleanor Cook, and Charles
Martindale had seen the parallels earlier but also lacked the dating as a
basis for the fact that they remain.

That does *not* mean that TWL has a "design" like the *Aeneid*. It means
something more complex and fascinating about Eliot's late affirmations of
Virgil. Anyone interested in the evidence and argument can read my study of
Eliot's parallels with Aeneas in the *T. S. Eliot Studies Annual*, Vol. I,
out this year.

There is a connection here: a couple of years reading Virgil, books about
Virgil, and Roman history fundamentally altered my reading of TWL. The
student obviously could not do that or be expected to do major research.
But merely announcing one's feelings is not how one learns to think
seriously.
Nancy,