Chris,
Missouri has 24 species or raptors, and Boone County has records for 21 species of raptors (Vultures, Hawks, Kites, Eagles, Osprey and Falcons). During migration in spring and fall there are two places that I go to, Eagle Bluffs CA and Bradford Farm.However, on a good day of migration any open field, park, airport etc. might be good if you get there by 8 am and wait until 11 am to see what goes over. The Missouri River Bluffs may add to the list, but there is a broad migration across the county. There may be a special spot to go that I haven't been, so I would love to hear about one if anyone knows of one. There are decks on top of the Missouri River bluffs at two locations that are accessible now. Eric Wood of Col Aud Soc might be able to tell us more about the new donation and if there is any access to it. The other is the MDC deck accessible from the KATY Trail and from a gravel road from the upland side.

The rarely reported raptors least likely to be seen are Black Vulture, White-tailed Kite, Northern Goshawk, and Harris's Hawk, so this brings the recorded list of raptors to 17 for Boone County.  Mississippi Kite is only a summer resident now and will be gone by early September. This leaves 16 species with a few of them on the rare side as well. Below is a list of raptors that could be seen at either Eagle Bluffs or Bradford Farm if you spent a morning in a hawk watch lounge chair. I look forward to hearing of other sites that birders use for their hawk watching.

  1. Turkey Vulture*
  2. Osprey*
  3. Golden Eagle - rare
  4. Northern Harrier*
  5. Sharp-shinned Hawk*
  6. Cooper's Hawk*
  7. Bald Eagle*
  8. Red-shouldered Hawk*
  9. Broad-winged Hawk - Sept - Oct*
  10. Swainson's Hawk - rare
  11. Red-tailed Hawk*
  12. Rough-legged Hawk - Nov-Dec*
  13. American Kestrel*
  14. Merlin*
  15. Peregrine*
  16. Prairie Falcon - rare
  * = Most likely to be seen on any good migration day.

Brad Jacobs