I was there yesterday as well and also saw "lotsa" cattle egrets, at least 100 or so - as well as snowys, American egrets, and Great Blues.  Several cormorants to.  Getting to Horseshoe Lake from South St. Louis is hard right now, with interminable traffic on !-44, !=64 and !-55 leading to the Poplar St. Bridge.  Traffic made me bail out on Thursday.  When I went on Friday I took Tucker Blvd. to 1-70 east across the Stan Span.  No traffic at all.
Pat Maloney
South St. Louis

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 2:18 PM, Them Murphys <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Horseshoe Lake was still very active when I visited yesterday late afternoon.  My conservative estimate of 110 cattle egrets was flagged by Ebird, but there were hundreds of egrets of all varieties—I only had binos and would love to know what one could see with a scope.  Many blackbirds feeding on the lotus. Huge flocks of blackbirds swirling above the distant trees.

Maureen Thomas-Murphy
St Louis, MO

From: [log in to unmask]" ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">David
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 9:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]" ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Thursday Saint Louis Birding

Riverlands was not very exciting.  Most of the Least Terns appear to have departed.  There were none visible at Teal Pond.  There was one juvenile and one adult in Ellis Bay.  The only shorebirds were on Cora Island Road.  There were three Black-necked Stilts which appeared to be a pair with a juvenile.  They seemed rather aggressive to the other birds.  A few Stilt Sandpipers came through, but the BN Stilts chased them off.  All the other birds were Pectorals and Least Sandpipers.
Horseshoe Lake in Pontoon Beach, Illinois was a bit more active.  There are lots of birds south of the causeway in the grassy marsh.  There were at least 200 Cattle Egrets and good numbers of Little Blue Herons and Snowy Egrets.  It was difficult to count the birds in the grass. Many of the Cattle Egrets were sitting on the blinds.   There were Yellowlegs in the grass as well, but they were difficult to see clearly.  If there were any other shorebirds, we were not able to see them.  There were about 40 Black Terns hunting over the marsh.  There were some very distant Caspian Terns sitting on the levy by the steel plant at the north end.

David Becher
Saint Louis

ASM Fall Meeting: September 22-24, 2017 at Lake of the Ozarks Details and Online Registration