I was there yesterday as well and also saw "lotsa" cattle egrets, at least 100 or so - as well as snowys, American egrets, and Great Blues.  Several cormorants to.  Getting to Horseshoe Lake from South St. Louis is hard right now, with interminable traffic on !-44, !=64 and !-55 leading to the Poplar St. Bridge.  Traffic made me bail out on Thursday.  When I went on Friday I took Tucker Blvd. to 1-70 east across the Stan Span.  No traffic at all.
Pat MaloneySouth St. Louis