Thank you, Charley. Yes, I shouldn't say that I was shot down, but the
count was truly not accepted by the reviewer - not yet.
By the way, our count was accompanied by a comment that an effort was
made to make an accurate count. That is not the REAL issue.
The real issue is that OTHERS need to report the numbers - and
accompany that with a comment that an effort was made to make an
accurate count and how. That empowers the reviewer.
It takes all of us to help out the reviewers. The reviewers on eBird
can't approve what seems like a crazy number if others aren't
reporting it, there is conflicting data, and/or there are no pics. It
was impossible to get pics of all 62 of the BNST that were spread out
over the levee. It wasn't like they were all hanging out together in
one place. Same with the other shorebirds.
The most little known fact that I forgot to mention in my initial post
- and I'll add it here - is that if one count gets flagged and is not
approved, the rest of the report still gets approved. I think this
might help folks. I think some people think that if a count doesn't
get approved, all their sightings that day don't get approved. That's
not true. All your other sightings go through just fine.
Thanks again,
Andy Reago
St. Louis MO

	-----------------------------------------From: "Charles Burwick"
Sent: 13-Jul-2017 19:01:12 +0000
Subject: Re: Reporting accurately on eBird

   Nice article Andrew. I, like most have done the same thing at some
time. I quit chasing the count flag when I understood, it is not being
shot down, or non-accepted. It just means you have exceeded the data
ceiling on the computer for that specific area. If you don't report
the data with comments that you did make an effort to accurately count
the birds, the computer will never be adjusted to reflect the increase
of significant numbers of some species in a specific area. So don't
take it personal, just be determined to beat the computer at its game.

   It would be nice if an eBird reporter would write a nice
explanatory paragraph on the issue. Never hurts to restate a process,
the birding community is in a constant trend of change, and some have
never heard of the issue being discussed before.
   Our pavement has now melted into oil, just hope you are all keeping
cool.
   Charley Burwick   Greene County